Intermediate level 7-week online course for free from Ku Leuven University. Estimated 4-6 hours/ week needed to complete.
Description: “This EU and Human Rights course teaches the basics of human rights, placing the EU at the centre of investigation.
- What factors are key to making the EU a positive or a negative force for human rights? For example, what impact has the economic crisis had on people’s human rights in the EU and the world?
- Which actors, friends or foes, must the EU engage with to successfully promote human rights? Examples include NGOs, businesses, or other international organisations like the Council of Europe or the UN.
- What is the impact of the EU in key policy sectors? Examples include trade, development, migration, social policy or international crisis management.
The course is intended for anyone interested in human rights and the EU, human rights law, European Studies, international relations, global governance, etc. It is divided into four modules
- The EU and Human Rights: Value Promotion and Coherence
- Promoting Human Rights inside the EU
- Promoting Human Rights in EU External Action
- Capitalising on Success and Remedying Flaws”