“The Global Alliance for National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) is the international association of national human rights institutions (NHRIs) from all parts of the globe.
Established in 1993, the GANHRI promotes and strengthens NHRIs to be in accordance with the Paris Principles, and provides leadership in the promotion and protection of human rights.
- Facilitates and supports NHRI engagement with the UN Human Rights Council and Treaty Bodies
- Encourages cooperation and information sharing among NHRIs, including through an annual meeting and biennial conference
- Undertakes accreditation of NHRIs in accordance with the Paris Principles
- Promotes the role of NHRIs within the United Nations and with States and other international agencies
- Offers capacity building in collaboration with the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCR)
- Assists NHRIs under threat
- If requested, can assist government to establish NHRIs”